Service in the Great Tradition
Greetings to you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!
We are a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Our congregation was established in early 1863, back in the days of the Civil War. We are pleased to think that even in the heart-breaking days of war, the Spirit of God was still breathing upon the City, renewing it and establishing new congregations like ours.
Below is a list of our dedicated staff. Click each link to find out more about the staff member.
- Pastor, The Rev. Gregory P. Fryer
- Music Director, Dr. Gwendolyn Toth
- Council President, Thomas Wicks
- Education Director, Karen Bazik
- Parish Bookkeeper, Charles Derderian
- Parish Secretary, Karen Rombey
- Sexton, Christopher Schulze
- Webmaster, Sean Curnyn
Our Historical Building
This beautiful place of worship was erected by German immigrants in 1886. The interior is 100 ft. x 60 ft. and 75 ft. high to the rafters. The bell tower rises 200 ft. and houses three bells inscribed Glaube, Hoffnung, and Liebe (Faith, Hope, and Charity). They were a gift to the new congregation from the Empress of Germany in the late 1800s. The church was constructed in a Gothic style reminiscent of church architecture prevalent in northern Europe in the latter years of the 19th century.To inquire about use of the church or undercroft for worship services, meetings, concerts, rehearsals, or parties, click here or contact Sexton Christopher Schulze.
News & Events
Phone & Email
Immanuel Lutheran Church
122 E. 88th Street
New York, NY 10128